You’re a dad, your job’s pretty straight forward right? Fix stuff that’s broken, hug little people that are broken and show off your muscles when opening the lemonade bottle! Done deal.
When it comes to being a father in the true sense of the term, there are so many skills that dads really need.
Some days you need to be superhuman so here are the superhero skills you should master to ensure you are the best dad for your little ones.
Go Batman on healthy eating
Superhuman Detective Skills and superhuman strength of will
These are exactly the skills you will need when trying to get your batboys and batgirls to (def)eat the universal baddie Dr Cabbage!
Here are some secret weapons for your amour:
- Chop vegetables into minuscule pieces and hide it
- Make it into a dinosaur shape
- Pretend it is the best thing you have ever tasted
- Keep adding veg to the plate everyday, even if it’s rejected. Exposure is a good thing.
- Explain it makes them run faster/ jump higher or look cooler
Never negotiate! Never plead, beg or cry. Weakness has no place in Batman or at the dinner table!
Go Ironman on creative projects
Tony Stark is a genius and he invents sophisticated devices, plus he has a keen business mind!
Stand by your cereal boxes! Kids will ask you to make the most weird and wonderful things. ‘What’s that, World? Sorry I can’t help I am building Sodor Island!’
From stick ‘lightsabers’ to blanket dens, without question dads are expected to be able to make things and find their inner Tony Stark.
Go Antman on sleeping
Ant-Man had the power to shrink himself (and other people and objects along with himself) to the size of an ant and return to normal.
Men aren’t world renowned for their ability to wake up during the night when the kids are up. In fact, dads usually sleep through even the noisiest midnight tantrums (even those from mum)
Inevitably you will share your bed with a little starfish, who insists on taking up half the bed and probably a partner who is too shattered to fight them back into their caves.
Your job in this situation is to shrink small enough to make sure everyone gets a good night’s rest. Here’s how to manage this Antman style
- Sleep on your side, facing away from the starfish (less chance of arms or legs catching valuable parts of you)
- Place your hand in front of you to stop ‘tipage’
- Stick out your legs a little, creating yourself a V style formation and thus gaining valuable inches on your side of the bed.
- Never complain!
- Never ever complain (worth mentioning twice)
- If all else fails, shrink super small, secretly slide out of bed and go and sleep in the child’s bed. This act alone will gain you massive mummy points! Everyone’s a winner.
Go Captain America on competition
Captain America has agility, strength, speed, endurance, and reaction time superior to any Olympic athlete.
Be it the dads race on sports day, or teaching some football skills to your little ones friends, dads are known to be slightly competitive (it’s true and yet they hide it so well, really…).
Kids love it when dad shows his skills. They love it even more when dad teaches them those skills.
Take some time to literally pass on your knowledge of all things physical, race with them (let them win sometimes too!) and play.
And finally … Go Thor on the morning after
Thor possesses physical powers, immunity to conventional diseases, enhanced endurance (Thor’s Asgardian metabolism is far greater than a human and superhuman strength.
We’ve all been there, well most of us anyway. You’ve enjoyed a rare night out while someone else looks after the kids for the evening and because it’s a relatively rare occasion, you may well have ‘gone for it’ and had one or two (or more) too many Asgardian ales.
Come the following morning, though, you need to be back in the ‘dad zone,’ although it probably feels more like the ‘dead zone.’
Here’s how to attack this:
- TV is your wing man.
- Train tracks are your distracter.
- Snuggly book time (you read to me sweetheart) is your saviour
- Bacon is your friend!
To all dads, no matter what child related challenges await you, have a fun filled time with your little ones this Father’s Day.